What was the last film you saw?

Views on cinema not related to Mr. Lynch
Bob

Re: What was the last film you saw?

Postby Bob » 23 Jul 2013

Thanks for your input, pal. Stoker is on my list as well as Side Effects. I watched the trailer for Spring Breakers but hmmm...

Memorable recent viewings of mine:

The Crying Game (8/10) - good performances and story (won the oscar for latter)

Take Shelter (8/10) - a nice and slow character study of a man drifting into madness

Upstream Color (8/10) - the Primer guy gives us a Malick-style (The Tree of Life) kind of puzzle to solve with an engaging story and great music. Have to see it again to put all the pieces together.

blu

Postby blu » 23 Jul 2013

I wouldn't want to put you off from watching either Stoker or Side Effects, because they do have their positive qualities, but I don't think they offer anything unique, shall we say.

I'm avoiding watching Upstream Color because I hear it's getting a limited theatre run in the UK later this year, so would like to see it on the big screen for the first time if at all possible.

On that note, I still haven't got round to Tree of Life, but know that I really should.

And further on Malick, I loved this headline I saw today:

"Terrence Malick taken to court for 'forgetting' to make film"

Bob

Postby Bob » 24 Jul 2013

On the subject of The Tree of Life: I didn't quite get it but unlike Upstream Color I wasn't compelled to see it again. This piece of trivia sums it up pretty nicely:

In August 2011, Sean Penn gave an interview to the French publication "Le Figaro" in which he was very critical of the movie and Terrence Malick's direction. Penn said "I didn't at all find on the screen the emotion of the script, which is the most magnificent one that I've ever read. A clearer and more conventional narrative would have helped the film without, in my opinion, lessening its beauty and its impact. Frankly, I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing there and what I was supposed to add in that context. What's more, Terry himself never managed to explain it to me clearly."

kmkmiller

Postby kmkmiller » 24 Jul 2013

After STAR WARS Dino De Laurentis wanted to make a movie that would be the next STAR WARS. One attempt was David Lynch's DUNE. And we know how that ended up. But before DUNE came FLASH GORDON, and I think it's time to unearth this wonder of FLASH GORDON and launch it back into the stratosphere.

FLASH GORDON.

Even the legendary film critic Pauline Kael gave this movie a favorable review. And with all the allusions to Wizard of Oz one might even surmise David Lynch smiled a couple times if and when he ever watched FLASH GORDON.

And besides, if not the Hot Hail, there's always the lingering possibility of a Flash Gordon Cole. Ha!

Oh and if you ever watched Darth Vader use the force to choke a disrespectful underling death star commander and wondered to yourself what you could do to a woman's sex using the same power, well this movie has your answer. ENJOY!

Siku

Postby Siku » 24 Jul 2013

Love Flash Gordon, so well hip and sexy and fun.

kmkmiller

Postby kmkmiller » 24 Jul 2013

Dale reads MAD magazine on the airplane. I'd hang out with her.

Siku

Postby Siku » 24 Apr 2014

Upstream Color.

I'd give it way more than 8/10 Bob! Like 9 and a bit or something.

Seriously, I loved the mise en scène, beautifully shot, well played, mind bending story slightly to the left-field of Being John Malkovic, it's pretty much everything I want from a movie. This is a step up from Primer (even with my soft spot for time travel), much more assured, lighter touch, broader scope, deeper characters.

I'm resisting the temptation to read read read the explanations online until I can watch again with my brainiest friends.

If you've ever been ripped off, drugged or fallen foul of a vampire pig, this is for you. Not a spoiler ;-)

Bob, surely one to add to the recommended movie list? (D)(I)(T)

Bob

Postby Bob » 26 Apr 2014

Two European (read: artsy) films I recently saw that I would recommend to MD fans:

A Pure Formality (1994) 8/10
Holy Motors (2012) 8/10

Siku wrote:Bob, surely one to add to the recommended movie list? (D)(I)(T)

:Superman:

Siku

Postby Siku » 26 Apr 2014

My Week with Marilyn. Fascinating performance by Michelle Williams as the actress in meltdown. On-screen vs. off-screen persona.

A bit twee though. I wonder what really happened?

Siku

Postby Siku » 11 Sep 2014

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari with live music by The Plummets.

Finally managed to see this after missing it last Autumn (sorry about that blu). The recently cleaned up print is pretty amazing, reconstructed from the original negative and a variety of other sources. Dreamers within dreams within fantasies make it a must see for MD fans.

Truly amazing film.

blu

Postby blu » 07 Oct 2014

Siku wrote:The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari with live music by The Plummets.

Finally managed to see this after missing it last Autumn (sorry about that blu). The recently cleaned up print is pretty amazing, reconstructed from the original negative and a variety of other sources. Dreamers within dreams within fantasies make it a must see for MD fans.

Truly amazing film.

Glad you got to see it, bro.

Bob

Postby Bob » 10 May 2015

Blue Is the Warmest Color (2013)

The movie is based on a graphic novel from 2010 and explores the ups and downs of a lesbian love relationship of two young women over a couple of years. A well-crafted, heart-wrenching story. 9/10

I could even spot some parallels to MD:
  • Both characters are very different from another. Adele (brunette) is passionate, emotional and instinctive like Betty while Emma (blue hair) is more intellectual, aloof and self-possessed (like Rita).
  • Emma's blue hair reminds of the Blue Haired Lady which may well present Camilla in her afterlife.
  • Extremely graphical sex scenes between the two.
Director Abdellatif Kechiche won the Palme d'Or for this movie at Canne, David Lynch won Best Director back in 2001.

blueisthewarmestcolor_6784.jpg

Previous

Return to Other Films