Tron: Legacy (2010)

Views on cinema not related to Mr. Lynch
Film Syncs

Tron: Legacy (2010)

Postby Film Syncs » 04 Dec 2010

Like blu, I'm also interested in seeing this film by first-time feature director Joseph Kosinski.

I don't know if the Tron story will resonate with me as I have no knowledge of the first one. So, it will depend on the story - of course it always depends on the story and how well the story is told.

Kosinski joins a rather long line of directors who got their break after doing television ads (e.g. Ridley Scott). Videos to some of his best known works and commercials can be found at http://www.josephkosinski.com/main.html

I do think he has a talent for the use of music and sound effects so that is a plus. I really enjoyed Ispec the Apple ad of the future. For those that appreciate The Shining, it is a must to watch.

The downside is that he seems to really into ice-cold modern architecture - that leaves me ... ice-cold. Notice that both Mezzo: Race and the Nike ad feature rather perfect people in their skin-tight bright white outfits with red accents in their futuristic modern habitats. Or note the Desert House video. I'm concerned that his soul seems trapped in a Bang & Olufsen store. But, each to his own.

blu

Re: Tron: Legacy (2010)

Postby blu » 07 Dec 2010

Early reviews seem to be lukewarm. As expected. The Guardian usually treads just the right line of the film snob line with occasional forrays over, and this is kinda borderline, but what I expected just about:

As things speed towards the climax, the questions start to pile up. If this is a computer world, everything is presumably an analogy for something else, but what? What does that drunk guy sitting on a street corner represent? A virus? A deleted desktop folder?

How come some parts of this world are plastic and malleable, but in others there are antique books and roast suckling pigs? If old Jeff is the champion of "imperfection", how come his hideout looks so minimalist and anal? What are the rules here? Perhaps information shouldn't be this free.

But the need to think about this stuff is optional. Tron Legacy is best enjoyed as a showreel of cutting-edge visuals – an extended Daft Punk video, perhaps, or a computer simulation of Bridges' inner turmoil since he won his Oscar last year. He won't win any for this but the visual effects departments might.

It is often beautiful to look at, and could come to represent the fashion tropes of its era as faithfully as its predecessor did. And the silliness somehow adds to the enjoyment rather than detracting from it. It's the best kind of bonkers.

Full review

And interesting stuff about some of the technology being used here

More stuff available upon polling Google News. ;-)

ctyankee

Postby ctyankee » 08 Dec 2010

Castor (above)looks like they found a way to breed these two guys together ...

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

If this is representative of what to expect from the movie ... it's going to be craptastic. They should have put the outstanding babe behind Castor into his role. At least we would have someone to look at while Escape from New York meets Road Warrior unfolds.

On this side of the pond, the Di$ney marketing machine has been going at it full force for months now. It's interesting to see the games that are played even among rather serious news publications like the New York Times. They bend over (forwards) to give a bunch of fluff pieces about the 'making of' the film and the director's vision and the like. They know that viewers enjoy that sort of things and they know it's good to support BIG advertisers. So, it's a win-win for them as long as they can hold their noses. Then the film comes out and the NY Times reviewer will rip the thing to shreds. ;-)

As far as the soundtrack goes, the Daft Punk offering is fine. I particularly liked "The Game Has Changed." The linked review has it pretty right - IT does sound like Hans Zimmer meets early 80's electronics/New Age. So, I can't give them much more credit than doing some appropriate sampling but ... it seems suitable. Time will tell.

Soundtrack Review:

http://nerdreactor.com/2010/12/08/daft- ... ck-review/

ctyankee

Postby ctyankee » 18 Dec 2010

ctyankee

Postby ctyankee » 06 Jan 2011

Saw this the other day. Predictable story to say the least along with really limited character development. That said, it wasn't that bad. They weren't trying to be Gone With The Wind, so it isn't high brow stuff, but that's okay sometimes. The music was well done and appropriate and the sets were reasonably interesting. Bottom line, it's not something that I can recommend to others but it also didn't suck.

blu

Postby blu » 06 Jan 2011

I saw it this evening.

After seeing a few 3D presentations I was hoping that this would be the one that would really sell it to me. Totally wrong. I actually find 3D distracting and annoying and that it doesn't actually add anything my viewing experience. Bits are out of focus and fuzzy, whenever there's a frenetic sequence it loses clarity, the brightness and sharpness is lost totally.

So

That said, I quite enjoyed it, thought the score was superb but I'd like to see it at IMAX again without the dumb glasses in 2D and then I'll be able to comment better on how the film actually looks.

I enjoyed Bridges. I enjoyed the hot girl. But as ct says story and characters in general are a bit iffy. 5 out of 10, or perhaps the soundtrack raising it to just short of 6 maybe. Can understand the mixed reviews everywhere.

Return to Other Films