When, where, how did you first see MD? Tell your story.

Exclusively reserved for discussion regarding David Lynch's 'Mulholland Dr.'
blu

Re: When, where, how did you first see MD? Tell your story.

Postby blu » 13 Nov 2011

Welcome to the club, fonebone, we can always accommodate new obsessives!

DarrenP

Postby DarrenP » 24 Dec 2011

My first time was in a theatre, just after it opened.

I was at a conference and by mid morning, I was bored to hell, so I decided to ditch it, but didn't want to go to work - so, I decided to chance my hand in a nearby theatre.

MD was just about to start and I'd heard a little about it, as the buzz around Naomi Watts performance was quite strong here (in Australia).

Anyway...

The movie starts and Watts as Betty absolutely transfixed me - she was only known to me at that stage as a crappy actress in a crappy local soap.

Within 10 minutes, I was completely hooked - the movie had drawn me in like no other movie ever had (or still has.)

When it was all over, I just sat in the dark as the credits rolled on by, completely lost in my own thoughts (Lynch's world?)

When the lights came on, an usher had to rouse me and ask me to leave, as the next session was about to start!!! :nod:

For the next two weeks, I thought about little else - the movie had really taken me over.

The best part? I've probably watched it 20 times since then and whilst my subsequent reactions haven't been as strong as the first time, I STILL get drawn in very strongly: it's why it's undoubtedly my favourite movie of all time.

blu

Postby blu » 24 Dec 2011

Welcome Darren. :2up:

Oldgoldtop

Postby Oldgoldtop » 18 Feb 2012

I had posted here once before but feel I have traveled a long way since and have somehow changed as a result. I had really enjoyed Blue Velvet when it was released in the 80’s but am not much of a movie goer so I did not make any effort to see MD when it came out (big oops!). The only other Lynch film I have seen is Wild at Heart. I first viewed MD around ‘05 when my wife bought the DVD and really do not recall much of the experience! I watched it twice and pretty much saw it as first part dream and second part Diane's reality though felt the explanation was incomplete and something was missing but I let it go and didn't think about it again.
So around Christmas of 2010 I thought it might be fun to watch it with our daughter who is a writing major in college. For me, this was really the first time I began to see Mulholland Drive and come under its compelling spell. At the time it was slow at my work and our daughter was having some serious “issues”. I found MD to be a much needed diversion within which I could lose myself. The time I spent seeking some “answer” to be cathartic is some strange way. I became quite obsessed with the film and sought to find a perspective from which I could come to a personally acceptable understanding as I sought to come to grips with those family “issues” I mentioned. It seems like an unending journey. Many times I believed I had arrived at a suitable destination only to be drawn back in for further exploration. It is unlike any film I have ever seen. None of the explanations I have heard or read about have ever really worked for me and I pursued many dead ends. Gradually I began to consider it more as an incredibly rich allegorical artistic “rendering” of a non-physical mindscape “inner reality” more than a story about a woman’s literal Hollywood murder mystery within the “physical world”. It has also sparked a curiosity in me to perhaps explore Transcendental Meditation which I now feel the film may reference. This is a topic Lynch is very involved in and he has also stated that it was while mediating that he was able to discover a way to finish Mulholland Drive as a feature film from the TV pilot. The TM course is quite expensive especially if considering it for the entire family. So far I have not signed up but the experience has made me much more cognizant of the non-physical inner “reality” and the need for compassion to experience a more contented life. I am not going to claim to have discovered Lynch’s intent but I have been able to decipher a “language” with the film. This “language” includes sequencing, editing, lighting, wardrobe, soundtrack character names and other components which might not be as important in typical films. Beginning to comprehend this “language” has opened a door which has made pursuing this perspective surprisingly fulfilling.
"A man's attitude determines to a large extent how his life will be."

Bob

Postby Bob » 23 Feb 2012

Oldgoldtop wrote:Gradually I began to consider it more as an incredibly rich allegorical artistic “rendering” of a non-physical mindscape “inner reality” more than a story about a woman’s literal Hollywood murder mystery within the “physical world”.

:up:

Батыр

Postby Батыр » 27 Feb 2012

For the first time has watched this film on the computer. I do not know as it there it has appeared. I began to look simply, thinking that it is a usual film and has a linear plot. But then the film for me began to become not clear. I admit, I have understood an essence of a film only in 10 minutes after its end. Then, in some days, I have decided to reconsider it again. And then once again. :holmes:
It is very tremendous film, very thin and emotional.
But, having disassembled it completely at me all the same there was one question which I can't understand and now. Who such Kamila? In a film we see that Diana in the dream represents that this role has got to it in the false image. But she doesn't know as it this role actually has got. And anybody from spectators of it doesn't know. Everyone can think of it on the and I want to hear your opinion. What do you think? ???

I don't know English language, therefore have used the translator. Don't laugh if that that incorrectly, it not I, and the translator ROFL

ctyankee

Postby ctyankee » 27 Feb 2012

Welcome aboard! You should put questions to the main topics as more people will see it and respond.

cjmarotte

Postby cjmarotte » 29 Feb 2012

The first time I viewed Mulholland Drive was about a year and a half ago at my home, it was on cable and it was in the middle of the movie or closer to the end, I was intrigued and vowed to view it in its entirety and did several times although I did not have enough understanding of the movie until I went online and searched some reviews and analysis of the film which only further fueled my interest. I love how the film provokes you to think.

Erskine

Postby Erskine » 29 Feb 2012

Had been a fan of David Lynch's work though mostly unaware that I liked "David Lynch's work" for some time. As a child and young teenager it was my fascination with Frank Herberts Dune that introduced me to Lynch though at the time I had no idea. Additionally I was captiviated by the story and portrayal of The Elephant Man. Still, I had no idea who Lynch was. I was the type that didn't pay attention to credits and the like. As a teenager and entering my junior year in high school, my first girlfriend, high school sweetheart was heavily into Twin Peaks. At the time I could care less, and thought of it as just another trendy show everyone was talking about.

It was'nt until recently,after shoving Twin Peaks to the recessess of memory did it begin to gnaw at me just enough for me to be compelled to watch them. I'm 38, so nearly 20 years later I decide to give them a try. Watching them now and looking back it all makes sense. My high school sweeheart was blonde, very attractive and supremely innocent on the outside, she attended an all girls catholic school and I attended a public high school. She stylized herself after Laura Palmer, more for what she would do and less for how she looked because she already looked like her. At the time, my best friend remarked how she looked eerily like Laura Palmer. Heck, back then I didn't even know who Laura Palmer was.

Without getting into TMI territory, I will just say my high school sweetheart must have really let Laura get into her head of which I was an unwitting accomplice. I have good ole Facebook to thank for dredging these old memories up, but the one good thing that came out revisiting my Laura Palmer was that I finally watched Twin Peaks.

Now, Mulholland Dr. Having already seen Blue Velvet and bits and pieces of Lost Highway and my reintroduction to Twin Peaks and David Lynch, still have not seen all his work I need to add. I had been asked by my current girlfriend if I had seen a movie called Mulholland Dr., because she stumbled across it somewhere, Netflic maybe and knew I was into Lynch. I replied no I have'nt, and immediately wonder why David Lynch would have directed a movie with Nick Nolte in it. I remember a movie called Mulholland something, something, and knew it looked like crap and had Nick Nolte in it, surely this can't be it. Well, of course, David Lynch did not direct Mulholland FALLS!, and who cares anyway, Nick Nolte is gross.

So, now that that was cleared up, I immediately went to my nearest Half Priced Books dealer and found a used, excellent condition Mulholland Dr. on DVD. This was a few weeks ago. So, here I am.

blu

Postby blu » 01 Mar 2012

:2up:

I like your story.

But I actually don't mind Mulholland Falls so much. Jennifer Connelly and all. :whistle:

Erskine

Postby Erskine » 03 Mar 2012

For Jennifer I could give it a try, but ever since the infamous Nolte mug shot I've not been able to stomach him much, except in Tropic Thunder, which was incidentally cowritten with Justin Theroux.

Mulberry Dr. Starring Nick Nolte as himself.

wishes

Postby wishes » 09 Mar 2012

I first saw this movie right when it went to DVD. I thought about it for a couple days after. I am not a David lynch fanatic but really enjoy watching his movies. I wish he would make more. MD is my favorite. I just love this move. I just watched it again. It was just cool how this woman had such a perfect life and then you find out she is a complete schizophrenic basket case. This movie had a really great twist. The eerie music and the creepy weird characters made this an awesome movie. Naomi watts really had a big part in making the movie good as well.

I have a theory which is why I am here. Its just funny how you think you got this movie figured out and there is always a piece of the movie that puts it all to shame. Its like a puzzle. David Lynch is truly a genius. I think he makes movies like this so we do not forget about them. Its like giving us a puzzle to solve.

blu

Postby blu » 10 Mar 2012

Welcome wishes!

Virginia

Postby Virginia » 28 Mar 2012

The first time I saw MD I was 13 (and now I'm 18!).

The TV transmitted it at 11.30 pm, I couldn't watch it because I had to go to bed so I left a videotape recording it and I watched it the next day.
The first and second times I didn't understand it very well.
It was so strange, I couldn't understand those fast changes of places, people, names. And I was frightened by the hideous tramp behind Winkie's Diner! Oh my gosh, I'll never forget that moment!
Now, MD has become such an obsession for me. That film hides something special, it's a masterpiece.
I've seen it 16 times until now and I never get tired of it.
Everytime I watch this film I've always something to learn, something new to discover.
I thought about it often and for me has become much more than a favorite movie.
My favorite characters? Rita and Adam, and maybe also Coco, but I like them all!

blu

Postby blu » 01 Apr 2012

Welcome Virginia. It's good to have you!

PreviousNext

Return to Mulholland Dr.