All about Carol - is this the girl?

Exclusively reserved for discussion regarding David Lynch's 'Mulholland Dr.'
Erniesam

Re: All about Carol - is this the girl?

Postby Erniesam » 18 Oct 2013

I agree with your last equation wholeheartedly...exept for the brunette Camilla on the end. I think that should be Camilla Rhodes (the REAL one with black hair). Maybe that's your view also and by brunette Camilla you mean Camilla Rhodes. I don't know.

As for Carol, I do think she's a transition from blonde Camilla Rhodes in the dream to Camilla (the lover of Diane in her daydream / fantasy).

Siku, do you also think that the structure is dream / daydream / reality and that each segment is coming closer to the truth?

Siku

Postby Siku » 19 Oct 2013

Erniesam wrote:I agree with your last equation wholeheartedly...exept for the brunette Camilla on the end. I think that should be Camilla Rhodes (the REAL one with black hair).

Ha! I was just repeating what you said hoping you could clarify it for me, as I don't understand.

Specifically, who's this real-Camilla-with-black-hair? I only see two Camillas - Blond & Brunette. But maybe this is a discussion for another thread dedicated to your ideas on this?

Erniesam wrote:Siku, do you also think that the structure is dream / daydream / reality and that each segment is coming closer to the truth?

Yes. I think we tend to separate dream/reality very distinctly from one another. Then, in the reality section, we often say Diane's an untrustworthy narrator, or she's delusional, or there's elements that are pure fantasy. But I think it makes sense to split reality into two discreet sections, as we do with reality/dream, giving three sections exactly as you say: dream/fantasy/reality.

Have a look at this post/thread.

Erniesam

Postby Erniesam » 19 Oct 2013

Hi Siku,

I will check that thread you mentioned out, but first let me respond quickly to your comment.

By the real Camilla with black hair, I mean the girl on the photo that Diane gives to the hitman. That is the real Camilla Rhodes, the one who got the dream part of Diane in REAL life. All the other girls in between are just repressed images of Camilla Rhodes.

Camilla Rhodes in dream = cross section between Betty / Diane and Carol
Carol= cross section between first Camilla Rhodes and the real one
Camilla Rhodes in fantasy = cross section between Carol and real Camilla Rhodes (it is the same actress and not a look-a-like of Betty anymore, with the only difference being the blonde hair).

It's odd, when I try to explain it, it seems so difficult, while in my head it seems so obviously clear. So, now I will check the thread you mentioned about the three-part segment of the movie. To me it is obvious Diane is daydreaming (she says bewildered and relieved: "Camilla, you've come back."), but I guess to call it fantasy amounts to the same thing. I think that to call it daydreaming is more appropriate, because it takes place during the day. But that's nitpicking, I guess.

As you say, it is obvious that parts of the reality segment are fantasy. That's Diane's way to avoid the confrontation with her trauma, in my opinion. But...I will see where it is to be expected to discuss all these different elements. So, let's check the thread you mentioned first.

Siku

Postby Siku » 19 Oct 2013

Day dreaming is something we all do. Diane's breakdown is WAY more acute by this point - delusional psychosis sending her into a full on hallucinatory fantasy world.

Erniesam

Postby Erniesam » 19 Oct 2013

Yes, I have to agree with you. Daydreaming is a way too "soft" phenomenon to create such vivid images. It is indeed her fantasy, she is consciously creating, exept her unconscious is gradually popping up.

Previous

Return to Mulholland Dr.