Species (1995) -- its influence on Mulholland Dr.

Exclusively reserved for discussion regarding David Lynch's 'Mulholland Dr.'
Film Syncs

Species (1995) -- its influence on Mulholland Dr.

Postby Film Syncs » 22 Jan 2016

Hard to believe, but we're coming up on the 15th Anniversary of Mulholland Dr.

As such, I thought I would reveal a significant influence on the film: Species (1995).

For those so inclined, it might be interesting to first watch Species and just see what you notice for yourself. Yeah, your radar will be up because references are expected, but it might be interesting to come up with your own ideas, perhaps ideas that I hadn't even considered or ones I omitted. Than watch my video and compare notes.

Btw, you might want to download a copy as soon as possible, just in case the copyright police rear their ugly heads. I'm sure it falls into the "fair use" bucket, but that doesn't seem to mean as much as it should to deep-pocketed corporations.

Anyway, From Film Syncs, with love,

vimeo.com Video from : vimeo.com

https://vimeo.com/152750722

Bob

Re: Species (1995) -- its influence on Mulholland Dr.

Postby Bob » 22 Jan 2016

I am game. Will report back with my findings in a couple of days.

Bob

Postby Bob » 11 Feb 2016

I must say you did an incredible job of putting this together. :up: Just wondering, you worked the links off in chronological order of MD, did you? Because it did not follow the order of Species.

I only spotted a fraction of the connections you made. Mine were:
- The arrival of the fresh-faced blonde in L.A.
- The nocturnal limo ride on Mulholland Dr.
- The car crash scene with detectives and firetruck
- The dumpster bum scare (although I did not make the connection between Dan and Dan, how oblivious of me)

Anyway, a very convincing case for an influence. Should get more exposure.

There is one possible connection you missed: The "ascent" to the swimming pool area of a posh mansion in the Hollywood hills.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Btw, it was only now thanks to Species that I realize there was a credit card tracing going on in MD with the bank guys coming around after Adam exposed his card to the system at the Park Hotel.

Film Syncs

Postby Film Syncs » 12 Feb 2016

I completely missed the poolside climb up to the Hollywood Hills house. I focused completely on just the poolside entrance into the house and decided that wasn't strong enough.

Nice catch!!!! and thanks for the feedback.

cdeck

Postby cdeck » 18 Feb 2017

Watched Species. Difficult to say if it influenced Lynch or was one of life's happy synchronicitys. I did notice that the film starts out with the lack of information about just what and why are these events happening and what do they mean. Same with the beginning of MD as we watch the car wreck and Camilla struggles to escape. The excerpts that you have compiled are very compelling, but just like MD, we may never know the answer. Right now I am leaning towards Lynch having seen this film because the main protagonist is searching for her identity - just like Camilla. And because of the many scenes that you linked together. The sheer number of them doesn't seem like just coincidence.

Siku

Postby Siku » Yesterday

Thanks for the observations film Syncs, really nice little video you put together.

I started watching Species yesterday, and will conclude tonight. Great cast, but must confess I'm a little disappointed so far. There was more pathos and empathy when Sil was younger. The possibility that she is good but troubled was closed down too soon. i can't really see this going anywhere now but chase and showdown.

Anyway couple of other connections to MD struck me:

- Sil had a troubled childhood, including abusive 'father' figure
- Sil suffers from terrible dreams
- Sil's monstrous second identity is hidden in her unconscious, initially revealed to the scientists by her behaviour when sleeping
- Sil has a fluffy pink jumper ;-)

Return to Mulholland Dr.