Hitman Joe - different colour eyes

Exclusively reserved for discussion regarding David Lynch's 'Mulholland Dr.'
User avatar
sandman
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 05 Feb 2016
Status: Offline

Hitman Joe - different colour eyes

Postby sandman » 05 Feb 2016

Hi all,
So, I've just joined up here as having watched this film for the first time in ages, I find myself trying to decipher what I can from this movie.

At the moment, I am in the observation phase, and one thing I distinctly noted is that when Joe does his bodged hit, he has 2 different coloured eyes (dark brown and green).
Later when we see him in the diner, his eyes are the same colour. Has anyone else noticed this?

Also, the place where the hit takes place (in the rental offices building), that building appears later on and forms part of the stage set in the casting studio.

Other things I've noted that I haven't seen discussed anywhere else yet are:

1) there are "2" of many things in the film:
- 2 auditions Betty goes to
- Dan says he has had 2 dreams about winkies
- cowboy says "you will see me 2 more times if you do bad"
- each of the 2 girls have two different names
- there are 2 apartments

2) when Diane hands the money over to joe, it's in the same bag as in the dream, but there is much less money in it. Is this an indication she has spent/wasted money somewhere. It says she inherited money from her aunt in the dream phase.

3) I have seen discussion forums about coffee in the film elsewhere, but the film is littered with references to coffee. In the audition at Whallys office, Betty is offered coffee, but she declines. Is this a reference to her not wanting to wake up?

I've seen other things, but I will open separate discussions for those to keep it focused.
Your thoughts on the above much appreciated..

User avatar
ctyankee
 
Posts: 196
Joined: 24 Oct 2010
Status: Offline

Re: Hitman Joe - different colour eyes

Postby ctyankee » 08 Feb 2016

sandman wrote:Hi all,
So, I've just joined up here as having watched this film for the first time in ages, I find myself trying to decipher what I can from this movie.

At the moment, I am in the observation phase, and one thing I distinctly noted is that when Joe does his bodged hit, he has 2 different coloured eyes (dark brown and green).
Later when we see him in the diner, his eyes are the same colour. Has anyone else noticed this?

Also, the place where the hit takes place (in the rental offices building), that building appears later on and forms part of the stage set in the casting studio.


Welcome aboard, Sandman. Actually, the office building where Joe botches the murder is a real building.

You can read about it here. http://www.mulholland-drive.net/studies/locations.htm

Additionally, the Joe's eyes have been covered and wondered about. If you haven't spent time on the main site, I would recommend it. It's full of things to the point you can get lost in there.

sandman wrote:
Other things I've noted that I haven't seen discussed anywhere else yet are:

1) there are "2" of many things in the film:
- 2 auditions Betty goes to
- Dan says he has had 2 dreams about winkies
- cowboy says "you will see me 2 more times if you do bad"
- each of the 2 girls have two different names
- there are 2 apartments



Duality is huge in MD. Even the name Coco reflects it.

sandman wrote:
2) when Diane hands the money over to joe, it's in the same bag as in the dream, but there is much less money in it. Is this an indication she has spent/wasted money somewhere. It says she inherited money from her aunt in the dream phase.


If by same bag you are referring to Rita's bag ... there is no way that we get enough of a look at Diane's bag in the Diner to say anything about it other than it has a zipper and it is black. Additionally, comparing dream with reality is a double-edged sword. Are things supposed to be the same in a dream?

sandman wrote:
3) I have seen discussion forums about coffee in the film elsewhere, but the film is littered with references to coffee. In the audition at Whallys office, Betty is offered coffee, but she declines. Is this a reference to her not wanting to wake up?


It's implied that Betty had coffee in the diner while playing detective as the waitress gives her a refill of coffee. Thus, I don't think too much can be made of it other than Lynch likes coffee.

User avatar
Siku
 
Posts: 427
Joined: 26 Jul 2011
Status: Offline

Re: Hitman Joe - different colour eyes

Postby Siku » 11 Feb 2016

sandman wrote:Hi all,
At the moment, I am in the observation phase, and one thing I distinctly noted is that when Joe does his bodged hit, he has 2 different coloured eyes (dark brown and green).
Later when we see him in the diner, his eyes are the same colour. Has anyone else noticed this?

Hi sandman, there are a few thoughts about Ed's eyes on this thread. No major conclusions though so be good to know what you think.

sandman wrote:Also, the place where the hit takes place (in the rental offices building), that building appears later on and forms part of the stage set in the casting studio.

This is a nice observation, I will have another look at the exterior shot of Ed's office and the stage in the studio.

As to the pairs of things, Lynch loves twins, doppelgangers and uncanny repetitions.

ctyankee wrote:I don't think too much can be made of it other than Lynch likes coffee.

Where's the fun in that? Anyway I'm not so sure. There are heaps of things lynch likes but he doesn't referenece them again and again - waking up is hardly a remote association. Coffee is part of his oeuvre and is clearly meaningful form him. reckon he loves it too though.

User avatar
Aimee2
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 23 Jul 2015
Status: Offline

Re: Hitman Joe - different colour eyes

Postby Aimee2 » 21 Feb 2016

Invested in labor at the dreamfactory
Dreamfactory gets demolished by Joe (no filmcarreer, no romance)

What we see as the bad Guy may actually bring insight into the true nature of desire: illusion. Another duality, good, bad switched.

Nothing is as it seems and when the bad bad world treats you badly and you react badly all illusion are gone and replaced by guilt. After all is done you still have to Confront yourself.

Nothing is good or bad but thinking makes it so
Hamlet


Return to Mulholland Dr.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron