Lux Vivens Album

Lost Highway, the Elephant Man, Twin Peaks, Blue Bob, Blue Velvet ... all other Lynch discussion here please
Alacrates

Lux Vivens Album

Postby Alacrates » 02 Apr 2013

Just wanted to post a small clip about making of the album Lux Vivens, an album of Hildegard von Bingen's music that David Lynch produced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5cXR3K8l1c

It's actually one of my favorite albums now. The artist (Jocelyn Montgomery) has a beautiful voice, and for anyone who has immersed themselves in Lynch's films will recognize a lot of his sound effects incorporated into album itself, the connections to his film work was very interesting for me.

It also got me to learn more about Hildegard von Bingen, who was a very interesting figure, who was a mystic and composer, but also involved in politics, medicine, etc.

Alacrates

Re: Lux Vivens Album

Postby Alacrates » 02 Apr 2013

(just noticing the sound is not in sync for the video, apologies for that, but I found it interesting to watch Lynch in the studio. Maybe best not to watch the images too closely, listen more as a radio program)

Garmonbozia

Postby Garmonbozia » 13 Jun 2013

This album was the first thing i listened to before i knew who David Lynch was! Such a neat intro into the world of Lynch then of course Twin Peaks. The song was Lux Vivens too, i love old latin being sung and i was in love with this album!

Alacrates

Postby Alacrates » 13 Jun 2013

Garmonbozia wrote:This album was the first thing i listened to before i knew who David Lynch was!

Interesting, that is an unusual way into the world of Lynch. As you listen to the album, there are a lot of parallels between the sounds on the album, and the soundtracks of his movies - a lot of them are too subtle too really discuss (or even remember) but one track for example, "The Flame and The Vision", is definitely reminiscent of the candle flame/fire scene in Blue Velvet.

The singer has a beautiful voice (I think in the documentary the sound producer said it was pretty close to a pure sine wave) and the Latin is interesting to listen to.

This album and the soundtrack to The Straight Story are in regular rotation on my iPod. I haven't gotten into any other of Lynch's albums, solo or collaboration, but maybe in time.

Garmonbozia

Postby Garmonbozia » 14 Jun 2013

but one track for example, "The Flame and The Vision", is definitely reminiscent of the candle flame/fire scene in Blue Velvet.

I went back and listened to the track and you are absolutely right! I never caught that! I can definitely hear the connections of a lot of his other music with Angelo in the album as well.

I love listening to old Latin being sung in anyway possible. Listening to this album lead me to the group Enigma and it just went crazy from there with music with that chanting Latin sound.

I really enjoyed the collaboration with Jocelyn West on the song, And Still, which they were going to use in Lost Highway but ended up not doing so. The song And Still on Youtube

I am also rather excited for his new album The Big Dream and his collaboration with Lykke Li.

Return to Lynch Films