Twin Peaks & The Shining

Lost Highway, the Elephant Man, Twin Peaks, Blue Bob, Blue Velvet ... all other Lynch discussion here please
Alacrates

Twin Peaks & The Shining

Postby Alacrates » 27 Apr 2013

I was just watching Kubrick's The Shining in it's entirety for the first time in a long time, and I couldn't help notice an uncanny amount of similarities to the world of Twin Peaks.

- the drive through the dense Pine forests to a remote location, to the sounds of strange and affecting synth music
- similarites of the Outlook Hotel & the Great Northern Hotel
- a sense of pervasive evil, that may be reverberating from the surrounding wilderness
- a likeable father (well, maybe) with a dark side (who may be possessed) who is alternatively charming and threatening with his family
- the iconic carpet patterns
- the otherworldly characters who seem to have a mysterious influence - both have sort of dead-pan ghostly bartenders
- the Red Room of TP, Redrum of the Shining

It wouldn't surprise me if there was some two-way influence between Kubrick and Lynch, I know during the filming of Barry London, Kubrick would hold screenings of Eraserhead for his cast and crew, saying it was his favorite movie. Lynch came by once, while in London shooting The Elephant Man.

kmkmiller

Re: Twin Peaks & The Shining

Postby kmkmiller » 27 Apr 2013

I believe, if I'm not mistaken, two of Kubrik's movies are alluded to when Carol sings her 16 reasons song.

Siku

Postby Siku » 28 Apr 2013

I love Carol, but not Kubrick. Please don't make me sit through all of his films to discover which ones are alluded to during 16 Reasons.

Siku

Postby Siku » 28 Apr 2013

Alacrates wrote:- the otherworldly characters who seem to have a mysterious influence - both have sort of dead-pan ghostly bartenders

Remind me, who's the ghostly bartender in TP?

Alacrates wrote:- the Red Room of TP, Redrum of the Shining

Good one! Is the Red Room actually referred to as such in TP, or is that a fan-term?

kmkmiller

Postby kmkmiller » 28 Apr 2013

ok, if you buy this, then I take full credit for this.

But if you don't, then this wasn't my idea ok??

OK.. that pink rectangle, that's supposed to be a pink version of the monolith in 2001 space odyssey..

Then if you see the clock in the center and there's a orange-ish pastel colored C-shaped design next to it.

Clockwork Orange.

Oh, and red room is a fan created term for the Black Lodge. Nobody in the series or movie, FWWM, says Red Room.

blu

Postby blu » 28 Apr 2013

In a curious coincidence, I came across this image this week.

TP_Shining.png

(Source: http://jaredlyon.deviantart.com/art/Purgatory-367308218)

Alacrates

Postby Alacrates » 29 Apr 2013

Ah yes, I guess actually Jacques Renault would be the TP bartender, the character I was thinking of was the ghostly bell hop from the Great Northern - his relationship to Cooper seems reminiscent of the bartender's relationship to Jack Torrens.

Alacrates

Opening scenes seemed sort of related too (to me anyways, though this is probably no good proof of any connection) - both seem to foreshadow the beautiful and ominous aspects of the wilderness surrounding the main narrative. Even the fonts seemed sort of similar - a simple glowing blue for The Shining, and a glowing green for Twin Peaks.

Last edited by Alacrates on 29 Apr 2013, edited 1 time in total.

Alacrates

blu wrote:In a curious coincidence, I came across this image this week.

TP_Shining.png

(Source: http://jaredlyon.deviantart.com/art/Purgatory-367308218)

Cool find blu, even if they are not directly related, there do seem to be interesting parallels between the Lodges of Twin Peaks and the Outlook Hotel.

kmkmiller

Postby kmkmiller » 29 Apr 2013

the character I was thinking of was the ghostly bell hop from the Great Northern - his relationship to Cooper seems reminiscent of the bartender's relationship to Jack Torrens.

One and the same.

Alacrates

Postby Alacrates » 01 May 2013

Alacrates wrote:I know during the filming of Barry London, Kubrick would hold screenings of Eraserhead for his cast and crew, saying it was his favorite movie. Lynch came by once, while in London shooting The Elephant Man.

Looks like I got that wrong: While working on The Elephant Man, Lynch met American director Stanley Kubrick, who revealed to Lynch that Eraserhead was his favorite film.[74] Eraserhead also served as an influence on Kubrick's 1980 film The Shining; Kubrick reportedly screened the film for the cast and crew to "put them in the mood" that he wanted the film to achieve.[75]

I actually just saw Eraserhead again in a theatre, I'll have to re-watch The Shining (which is also coming to a theatre near me!) to ponder similarities there. One thing that comes to mind, I think a lot of Eraserhead depicts what is going on in Henry's mind, though it is fairly difficult to parse out what is part of the actual narrative, and what is an internal digression in Henry's psyche (I realize it's an odd thing to try to find an "objective" narrative in a movie centered around a strange, alien, baby-like creature!). I've read some people argue that The Shining is similar, in that many scenes (particularly those that occur down-camera of the typewriter) might be occuring in Jack's mind/in the work that he's writing.

kmkmiller wrote: OK.. that pink rectangle, that's supposed to be a pink version of the monolith in 2001 space odyssey..
Then if you see the clock in the center and there's a orange-ish pastel colored C-shaped design next to it.
Clockwork Orange.

That's an interesting idea, kmkmiller, I'd say take some credit if you originated it. Even if it isn't a Kubrick reference, I'd imagine that set-within-a-set is significant in its details, I hadn't thought of looking at it closely. The colours are interesting to me: I've definitely paid notice to the pinks and blues running through the film, but orange not at all. In the shot you posted can't help but notice the two shiny orange tops and the orange skirt in addition to the stylized C.

Alacrates

Postby Alacrates » 01 May 2013

Also, found a pretty good thread on this on another forum (actually it seems like The Shining doppleganger-website to this one, with a lengthy explanatory essay and an active forum): http://www.collativelearning.com/mybb_1401/Upload/showthread.php?tid=954

kmkmiller

Postby kmkmiller » 01 May 2013

drat. i really can't honestly take credit for it. I know I'm not that smart to figure something like that out.

But I think it's true. Pink Monolith. Clockwork Orange. I totally am buying it. And given everything you're saying about the Kubrick/Lynch appreciation relationship, it only even makes all the more sense Lynch would put little homages to the master in his movies.

As far as color coding in that scene. Oh... well that's been discussed at length many times.

The two dude back up singers are dressed in blue forming a blue box around the pink female singers.

Ok. Wait. Now that I think about it. I just realized my favorite Kubrick scene of all time. NO. My favorite scene in a movie of all time. Yes. Of all time. Because it explains so much of everything .... More so for the comedy and exquisite way it is handled by Mathew Modine.

So here goes....

COLONEL
Marine !

LT. CLEVES
Colonel.

COLONEL
Marine, what is that button on your
body armor?

JOKER
A peace symbol, sir.

COLONEL
Where'd you get it?

JOKER
I don't remember, sir.

COLONEL
What is that you've got written
on your helmet?

JOKER
"Born to Kill," sir.

COLONEL
You write "Born to Kill" on your helmet and
you wear a peace button. What's that
supposed to be, some kind of sick joke?!

JOKER
No, sir.

COLONEL
You'd better get your head
and your ass wired
together, or I will take a giant shit on you!

JOKER
Yes, sir.

COLONEL
Now answer my question or
you'll be standing
tall before the man.

JOKER
I think I was trying to suggest something
about the duality of man, sir.

COLONEL
The what?

JOKER
The duality of man. The Jungian thing, sir.

COLONEL
Whose side are you on, son?

JOKER
Our side, sir.

COLONEL
Don't you love your country?

JOKER
Yes, sir.

COLONEL
Then how about getting with the program?
Why don't you jump on the team and come
on in for the big win?

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Is it possible Kubrick is paying some respect to Lynchian dualities?

Peace...

Born to Kill

Maybe not. Well one last thing....

They both like Chris Isaak.

blu

Postby blu » 01 May 2013

kmkmiller wrote:drat. i really can't honestly take credit for it. I know I'm not that smart to figure something like that out.

We have Clockwork Orange, but the film is called A Clockwork Orange. So where is the 'A'? That was the quiz back in the day.

It was ctyankee who spotted this connection btw.

I won't leave you hanging. As soon as I get chance to grab the right frame from the film, I'll post it. But have a think about it in the meantime.

kmkmiller

Postby kmkmiller » 02 May 2013

oh i know where the "A" is 8-) 8-) :2up: and ctyankee it is.

sorry i couldn't remember where i read this wonderful observation.

Next

Return to Lynch Films