Odd Dislikes

Lost Highway, the Elephant Man, Twin Peaks, Blue Bob, Blue Velvet ... all other Lynch discussion here please
KyleOrKyla

Odd Dislikes

Postby KyleOrKyla » 14 Aug 2013

Here's something odd in two of Lynch's works; I'm not sure if it's in others:

In both Twin Peaks and Lost Highway, there's a scene where characters mention/have mentioned an odd dislike (I'm going from memory here so there might be some inaccuracies):

In the first season of Twin Peaks, there's a scene where the whole squad room is gathering around Waldo the myna bird, and Sheriff Truman asks Cooper if he wants to feed Waldo something; Cooper nervously says, "I don't like birds."

(In context, this makes gobs of sense because
birds/owls have great symbol-cache in TP, plus "Cooper" meaning, "one who builds coops", the most famous kinds of coops being chicken coops which hold birds, etc
)

Near the beginning of Lost Highway, when the police are asking Fred and his wife about the video tape recordings of their house and they ask if Fred has a video camera, I believe his wife says, "Fred doesn't like recording devices."

(Again, this makes sense in context of the movie's themes, because it's followed up by
Fred saying something that makes a lot of high-level sense out of how the upcoming murder is revealed to the viewer: "I like to remember things the way I remember them, not necessarily how they happened." By extension, the unreliable narrator helps make sense of the rest of the movie's happenings
)

So I was just curious if folks remember any other odd statements of dislike from the rest of the Lynch filmography... I've always dug the way his characters say very inhuman things (which draw attention to the specific words with their unnaturalness/vagueness) when (incoming gross oversimplification) they're not really presenting themselves as representations of humans but ..I donno, let's go with "subjective manifestations of the underlying concepts."

I'm pretty sure this post has collapsed into a singularity of self-introspective bullflop faster than a fish in the percolator; the upshot: other odd dislikes?
ArtGumshoe.com ~ a doodle comic which will eventually contain art gumshoes.

ctyankee

Re: Odd Dislikes

Postby ctyankee » 14 Aug 2013

Actually a Cooper is ... one who builds wood barrels or the like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper_%28profession%29

KyleOrKyla

Postby KyleOrKyla » 14 Aug 2013

ctyankee wrote:Actually a Cooper is ... one who builds wood barrels or the like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper_%28profession%29

Oops, you're absolutely right. I got off on the wrong track; the most avian connection I can make is with "Coop", Cooper's nickname.

Off-topic-ally, both the forest, and barrel's components (wood, and a ring made of metal), are fairly well-represented in Twin Peaks symbology; so, Dale Cooper's full name: still richly symbolic, just not terribly bird-related.
ArtGumshoe.com ~ a doodle comic which will eventually contain art gumshoes.

Alacrates

Postby Alacrates » 15 Aug 2013

KyleOrKyla wrote:Off-topic-ally, both the forest, and barrel's components (wood, and a ring made of metal), are fairly well-represented in Twin Peaks symbology; so, Dale Cooper's full name: still richly symbolic

Wow, I like that, I hadn't thought of that specifically, though I know there are a lot of names that seem to be connected to trees and the forest in Lynch's work. I have read that Lynch's father worked for the the National Forest Service (or something like that), I know the woods are important to his outlook (his father also had a large insect collection, I believe I read.)

To expand on that, "Dale" is also refers to a valley, another land-form.

The surrounding forest, and the intersection with the lumber mill, plays a mysterious roll in Blue Velvet & Twin Peaks.

Likewise, we see the importance of the ring in TP Fire Walk With Me.

And, to think of barrel making, the work of a cooper, the form of a barrel is a number of planks arranged in a ring, which sort of mirrors the circle of trees in Glastonbury Grove, so entwined with Agent Cooper's fate.

------

I know what you're saying about strange dislikes though, I'll keep a watch out for some more.

Return to Lynch Films