Blogspot Posts on Twin Peaks

Lost Highway, the Elephant Man, Twin Peaks, Blue Bob, Blue Velvet ... all other Lynch discussion here please
Alacrates

Blogspot Posts on Twin Peaks

Postby Alacrates » 29 Mar 2014

I started a series of posts on all the little details & connections that I noticed re-watching Twin Peaks.

If anyone would care to read it & leave me some feedback, I'd be most appreciative!

I've only gotten about half-way through the Pilot episode, and am not extremely happy with the way it's coming out, haha, but I wanted to collect up all the observations (not to mentions screenshots) that I amassed, I hope it comes together more & more as it progresses.

Thx!

http://www.caveoftheflickeringlight.blogspot.ca/

Siku

Re: Blogspot Posts on Twin Peaks

Postby Siku » 02 Apr 2014

Good stuff Alacrates I'm enjoying it a lot, having finally watched TP around this time last year.

One small point: The window sill behind Laura's mum looks like it has a bird and a robot? Surely another ref to the mechanical robin at the end of BV?

Alacrates

Postby Alacrates » 04 Apr 2014

Thanks Siku, it's appreciated.

Yeah, I hadn't noticed, but that figure in the window does kind of look like a robot. I think Olsen took it to be a magician because of the pointed sorcerer's hat it appears to be wearing, but I guess there's no reason it couldn't imply both. Kind of interesting to tie that back to the mechanical-looking robin, not sure what it imply though ~ now I'm trying to think of any other mechanical/robotic looking symbols within Lynch, hmm...

Alacrates

Postby Alacrates » 07 Jun 2014

The next installment is up, finishing up with the Pilot episode (it won't move so slowly once I get into the rest of the series!)

http://caveoftheflickeringlight.blogspot.ca/2014/05/the-pilot-episode-2nd-half.html

Let me know what you think!

Topics covered:

- the place of Twin Peaks in the detective genre
- ideas about the role of Dianne
- Twin Peaks and meditation
- the names of Twin Peaks, and their connections to the woods
- left and right brain hemispheres
- the dual aspects of fire, and the elements of Twin Peaks
- the Roadhouse, and Other Realms
- connections to Kubrick

Alacrates

Postby Alacrates » 23 Feb 2015

For any who may be interested, a new piece of commentary on Zen, Or the Skill to Catch a Killer.

http://caveoftheflickeringlight.blogspot.ca/2015/02/part-four-zen-or-art-to-catch-killer.html

Siku

Postby Siku » 24 Feb 2015

Thanks for sharing, exciting times in Twin Peaks :-)

"There's something very off-putting, animalistic, possibly sexual about the way the Horne brothers are appreciating and devouring those sandwiches."

Hey that's exactly what I thought! I wonder if Lynch views the material world as flawed/evil or maybe simply ambivalent to human suffering.

The Horne brothers seem to treat women the way they treat their sandwiches, their next stop is One-Eyed-Jack's.

Interesting observation that the images deers accompany vulnerable women, but that the deer are always antlered. Femininity = nature and nature on the run.

I wonder if their's a connection with the antlered Hearne the Hunter, spirit protector of wild woods? The forest features heavily in TP, and although presented as strong is clearly under assault, remember the ruthless machines in the titles. The whole town and especially the Horne's Hotel is built from dead woods.

Alacrates

Postby Alacrates » 08 Mar 2016

For anyone interested, a new post is up in the series, this one is focused on the episode Rest in Pain, the episode with Laura's funeral. Discussions include Agent Cooper's ideas on dreams, what continuity errors reveal, the Bookhouse Boys and demonic forces, and a little bit of TP and MD, regarding the idea of the bardo.

http://caveoftheflickeringlight.blogspot.ca/2016/03/part-five-rest-in-pain.html

Siku - interesting point, I'm not familiar with Hearne the Hunter, looks like its English folklore? Definitely something related to mythology and the forests there, and it does seem to call back to English myths later in the series, with Glastonbury Grove and the Knights of Arthur in the finale.

Return to Lynch Films